New system features advances in camera technology, throughput, measurement capabilities and much more . . .
Some of the most prominent features incorporated in the DSG400 include:
- Advanced high pixel density, USB 3 camera technology with optimized lensing and telecentric optics
- Expanded measurement algorithms for multiple critical measurements
- Hands-free job change
- Optimized tool set for expanded measurement of small ware
- A Quad-core central computer
- Positive table positioning for enhanced thickness measurement
- Industry 4.0 communication protocols
When performing the complicated measurements required for managing glass container quality, maintaining sufficient throughput without sacrificing precision is always a concern, The DSG400 overcomes this in several ways.
- An advanced no-job change feature makes it possible for the DSG400 to accept bottles of different sizes and shapes from the same or multiple lines without the need for an operator to adjust handling components or change parts. This same enhanced tooling also facilitates positive bottle placement and increases the measurable thickness range for pharmaceutical and small format bottles.
- A new quad-core central computer system with a USB 3.0 camera interface and an embedded operating system provides the horsepower necessary to manage high speed communication with the system’s multiple cameras. This increases overall processing speed and vision frame rates, making it possible to capture more images, with higher density, in less time.
Focus on precision
A major emphasis for the DSG400 is measurement precision. The DSG400 precision is improved over previous models with new camera technology that sports a 2x increase in pixel density. Enhanced telecentric lighting provides for improved edge shadow for the highest dimensional precision and repeatability. This improvement is of major significance as it provides for more distinct categories and lowers the percent of process variation for individual measurements.
Several enhancements have been made to simplify and improve measurement capabilities for label panels and finish thread measurements. These include an optional “point cloud” function for contour visualization of label panels. An intelligent “T” measurement has been added to improve precision and simplify the measurement of non-overlapping, partial overlapping and depressed threads. For one of the most difficult measurements to perform by hand, an enhanced lug algorithm has also been incorporated to accurately measure lug finishes including L, Lug diameter and gaps between lugs.
When measuring thickness, it is important to be able to measure material distribution over the complete bottle profile including sidewall, shoulder and angled areas. The DSG400 provides high accuracy thickness measurements simultaneously with dimensions by seamlessly incorporating the Agr’s Thickness 360® measurement system. With its patented vision-guided, three-axis positioning and optical measurement, Thickness 360® can measure round and non-round panels, tilted sidewalls or even corners at an accuracy of +/- 0.02 mm and repeatability of +/- 0.01mm. Thickness measurements, on the DSG400 are further enhanced through optimized bottle positioning and additional software features that extend the measurement range making it possible to measure thickness over the complete body sidewall particularly on small pharmaceutical ware.
Industry 4.0 standard communication protocols have also been incorporated into the DSG400 to improve communications and support Industry 4.0 objectives. These include CSV added outputs, XML and TCP/IP connectivity as well as XML tags on all data points. The addition of this capability expands the DSG400’s ability to talk to other devices, support remote computer job change (commands and uploads) and interface with factory robotic handling systems without operator intervention.
The Dimensional Sampling Gauge is Agr’s premier dimensional measurement system that functions as an automated laboratory test station, providing hands-free, high-precision measurement of critical glass container attributes such as body and finish dimensions, weight, pushup, bore, wall thickness and, when mated with Agr’s SPT2™ (OmniLab® configuration), volume and pressure testing, all in one system.
Agr International Inc. develops and manufactures a full line of laboratory, on-line quality and process management devices for containers and similar products for the packaging industry. The Agr headquarters and main manufacturing facility is located in Butler, PA, USA.